Hello, what are you all planning to do for Christmas Trees this year? I love our family's Christmas tree tradition, but I am thinking that it seems like one more thing to supervise and be hands-off for curious, climing Xander. I'm looking for as many opportunities as possible to say "YES!" to him in support of his autonomy and curiousity, and I don't think I want to have something in the house which would mean a lot of "No"s. Maybe we will do a tiny tabletop tree. Would love to hear what you guys are thinking.
Also am passing along information I found really interesting about organic Christmas trees and health hazards of artificial trees....
"...Why do organic Christmas trees matter? There is concern about the
pesticides on farm-grown trees and their
health-adverse
effects on both farm workers and purchasers of the
trees, especially given that each tree gets sprayed
with pesticides every year for 7-10 years before it is
cut. One farmer I talked to who does use pesticides
recommended hosing the tree down several times and
letting it dry completely before bringing it in the
house. Great for us, but then the pesticides just get
washed into Lake Washington. And why should you
subject your family to the risk? Or support an
industry that puts farm workers at risk?
For those of you who care about these things, I would
suggest just asking your Christmas tree farm or
supplier if pesticides are used, and telling them why
it matters. If enough demand is there, the supply
will come. You can always go to a National Forest to
cut your own.
Why is it so hard, almost impossible to find organic
Christmas trees? Here's an interesting article that
talks about it.
http://www.tidepool.org/original_content.cfm?articleid=99552
And just for fun, here's an environmentalist's take on
the fake vs real debate:
http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/12/08/umbra-tree/
Basically, fake trees aren't much better, because the
plastics they are made from are toxic to create and
dispose of, and there is lead in the plastic as a
"stabalizer" that rubs off on anything that touches
them.
You can get your VERY OWN ORGANIC Christmas tree and
support a great cause by buying one from the UW Forest
Club. Print off the form, mail it in (orders need to
be received by 12/1), and pick it up from them.
http://students.washington.edu/uwforest/index_files/Page672.htm
The trees are organically grown in power line
right-of-ways so they are utilizing otherwise unused
land, with absolutely no pesticides nor risk to
workers or consumers. Plus the proceeds support the
UW forestry club, a great student group...."
1 comment:
Great info about trees, thanks for passing it on Lara.
Charles and I have actually never done a christmas tree of our own. We are thinking about doing a small, live tabletop christmas tree this year, because we want to start some festive family traditions with Asha and we are in the same boat about not wanting to add anymore "nos" to the house. We plan to do stockings and a few gifts -- I think Asha would enjoy the magic of a little tree. We would plant it out in the yard when we are done with it.
What are others doing?
Post a Comment